Mothers Are Superheroes! - Home/Water Birth

I am so lucky to have amazing customers that are willing to let me into their most private lives, when they are at their most vulnerable.  Witnessing the birth of a child is truly one of the most amazing things you can experience.  This is my 3rd birth I have attended, apart from my own. It's not something I would want to do all the time as it demands a lot and I am very sensitive to others feelings which makes it a lot more work for me to separate myself from their emotions both physically and mentally, but to have had these experiences and to experience them again one day with the right couple, is just such a wonderful thing.
Lucy's water's broke and she sent me a message.  Contractions weren't strong so she would send a message soon.  I was meant to be going to a school gathering but couldn't think of anything else, and just before we were leaving I got a message it was time to come. I let myself in and said hi.  Their two older girls were so excited about meeting their baby.  Lily was so sure it would be a girl. Things started slowly at first and it was such a nice calm environment at home.  To be able to have that opportunity is really fantastic. Two midwives attended.  Jutta being the one I have recognised from other home birth documentations.
I stayed out of the way, taking photos when there was something new happening.  Then Lucy moved to the bath.  Things were happening.  Things were getting more intense. At first I would come in a take some photos and then leave them alone, but towards the end I stayed. Lucy asked for her girls to come.  It was time.  Rosie was asleep but Lily bounded in, super excited.  Lily was tired, and also worried about her Mum when she made some noise.  She would sit stroking her Mum's arm to comfort her.  She had done this before.  This time she was bigger.  She left the room as she thought it wasn't going fast enough and then suddenly the babies head was born.  Lucy waited until Lily was back in the room before pushing the last time. That feeling and look of elation when the mother gets a boost of endorphins.  The baby is pulled up onto her breast. It's a girl! They cover her with a towel to keep her warm then soon after Lily cuts the umbilical cord.  What an incredible thing for a big sister to experience.  She does it like a pro.  She's done this before! I wonder what she will be when she grows up.
I stay and take a few more photos of them when they move to the bed, so cosy and warm with a new little girl in their arms, at home. The midwives review the birth and come back to weigh and measure her before I leave.
I was only there 3.5 hours before the baby was born. Absolutely amazing! Mothers are superheroes!
Enjoy!















































Comments

Popular Posts